Peter Senge described Personal Mastery as “the discipline of personal growth and learning” (The Fifth Discipline, p.141.) And why not? Leadership Starts with Leading the Self. The self is the ground zero of everyone’s leadership journey. A lot of the reasons why people fail to lead come from their failure to model leadership behaviors. And behaviors come from our ability to manage our selves.
Leaders who demonstrate personal mastery have special sense of purpose. They are able to accurately assess current situations, recognize how their own mental model affect their understanding and attitude towards these situations. They are able to muster the will to direct their action towards the achievement of their goals and respond productively to people and other variables in front of them. They are curious and humble enough to inquire and confident enough to advocate ideas and actions.
At the core of personal mastery is what we call emotional intelligence or EQ. It starts with self-awareness that grows into self regulation, being socially aware that leads to better relationship management.
We at ExeQserve believe that one of the most important and most ignored leadership developmental needs of our time is Personal Leadership through mastery of the self.
ExeQserve Consultants designed this program to help leaders achieve the following:
- Align their leadership actions and decisions with their personal vision, purpose and values
- Recognize their own personal leadership capital and use their personal assets in their leadership work
- Demonstrate awareness of their mental models as they make leadership decisions
- Shift from a powerless thinking to empowered thinking
- Manage negative emotions like fear and anger through self-talk and disputation
- Demonstrate empathy through humble inquiry and active listening
- Build positive working relationship with others through assertive and respectful communication